- Western Australia storm: Ex-cyclone brings widespread damage to coast May 25, 2020An ex-tropical cyclone and a cold front combined to create a "once-in-a-decade" event, officials say.
- Tiger Woods & Peyton Manning beat Tom Brady & Phil Mickelson in $20m charity match May 25, 2020Tiger Woods, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Phil Mickelson raised $20m for coronavirus relief efforts in The Match: Champions for Charity.
- New Zealand earthquake hits during PM Ardern live TV interview May 25, 2020Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern carries on an interview as an earthquake hits parliament.
- Hong Kong security law 'needed to tackle terrorism' May 25, 2020The territory's security chief says the controversial security law will save the city from violence.
- Coronavirus: Chile's president says healthcare system 'very close to the limit' May 25, 2020President Sebastián Piñera warns of the strain on hospitals as the number of cases approaches 70,000.
"#Sitharaman" – Google News
- Nirmala Sitharaman’s anger isn’t helping Modi govt’s image in lockdown - ThePrint May 25, 2020Nirmala Sitharaman’s anger isn’t helping Modi govt’s image in lockdown ThePrint‘Intent to pick holes’: FM Nirmala Sitharaman on fiscal package critic […]
- FM Nirmala Sitharaman breaks down stimulus package & More | Frankly Speaking - Times Now May 23, 2020FM Nirmala Sitharaman breaks down stimulus package & More | Frankly Speaking Times Now […]
- Amit Shah, Nirmala Sitharaman Attend Rajnath Singh-Led Meet On Economy - NDTV May 23, 2020Amit Shah, Nirmala Sitharaman Attend Rajnath Singh-Led Meet On Economy NDTV […]
- FM Nirmala Sitharaman says, Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan seeks to create sustainable demand base by augmenting employment opportunities - All India Radio May 23, 2020FM Nirmala Sitharaman says, Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan seeks to create sustainable demand base by augmenting employment opportunities All India Radi […]
- Sitharaman's MSME booster package: India inc gives a thumbs up. But doubts faster implementation - SME Futures May 23, 2020Sitharaman's MSME booster package: India inc gives a thumbs up. But doubts faster implementation SME Futures […]
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Saturday said that those who criticise the Centre’s economic relief package worth Rs 20 lakh crore, do not want to understand it but want to “pick holes” instead, the Hindustan Times reported.
This came a day after Congress President Sonia Gandhi said at a virtual meeting of several Opposition parties that the package, meant to revive the battered economy, was a “cruel joke on the country”. Party leaders have repeatedly criticised the Centre, calling the details of the economic package “voodoo economics” and a “litany of jumlas”. Others have described it as “too little, too late”, claiming it barely does anything to uplift the poor.
However, Sitharaman dismissed all criticism and said the idea of the package is to “restart economic activity, put some cash in peoples hands, and infuse liquidity in the system”. She made the remarks while speaking to Bharatiya Janata Party leader Nalin Kohli about the government’s economic relief measures in the Capital.
“We compared [the] announcements made by other countries,” she said. “We should be not confused about this. Every country has brought in a basket of things, some fiscal, some monetary…We are not different from them. The proportion might vary…[but] we have come [up] with measures which will infuse more liquidity into the market. People will get…