- Western Australia storm: Ex-cyclone brings widespread damage to coast May 25, 2020An ex-tropical cyclone and a cold front combined to create a "once-in-a-decade" event, officials say.
- Tiger Woods & Peyton Manning beat Tom Brady & Phil Mickelson in $20m charity match May 25, 2020Tiger Woods, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Phil Mickelson raised $20m for coronavirus relief efforts in The Match: Champions for Charity.
- New Zealand earthquake hits during PM Ardern live TV interview May 25, 2020Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern carries on an interview as an earthquake hits parliament.
- Hong Kong security law 'needed to tackle terrorism' May 25, 2020The territory's security chief says the controversial security law will save the city from violence.
- Coronavirus: Chile's president says healthcare system 'very close to the limit' May 25, 2020President Sebastián Piñera warns of the strain on hospitals as the number of cases approaches 70,000.
"Amphan" – Google News
- West Bengal: Indian Army conducts restoration work in Kolkata after cyclone Amphan - - Defence Aviation Post May 25, 2020West Bengal: Indian Army conducts restoration work in Kolkata after cyclone Amphan - Defence Aviation Post […]
- Caught between Covid-19 and Amphan, Bengal’s environment refugees face an uncertain future - Hindustan Times May 25, 2020Caught between Covid-19 and Amphan, Bengal’s environment refugees face an uncertain future Hindustan Times […]
- Indian and Bangladesh mango fields devastated by cyclone Amphan - FreshPlaza.com May 25, 2020Indian and Bangladesh mango fields devastated by cyclone Amphan FreshPlaza.comAmphan-related claims to surpass $46 million in India Business Insuran […]
- Amphan destroys jute cultivation in Bengal - The Statesman May 25, 2020Amphan destroys jute cultivation in Bengal The Statesman […]
- Vikas Khanna to supply cooked meals to those affected by cyclone Amphan - Republic World - Republic World May 25, 2020Vikas Khanna to supply cooked meals to those affected by cyclone Amphan - Republic World Republic World […]
The toll from the Cyclone Amphan in West Bengal rose to 86 on Saturday, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said, according to ANI. The powerful storm, which hit the Indian coast on Wednesday, wiped out thousands of homes in low-lying areas and left several cities in the mainland without utilities.
In Kolkata, the trail of destruction left behind by the storm led to protests against the administration on Friday, as essential services like phones and electricity remained suspended for the third day, The Telegraph reported. The protesters alleged neither the civic body nor the power supply utility was responding to their calls. By evening, the demonstrations spread and people in adjoining districts such as Howrah and Hooghly also took to the streets.
The cyclone, strongest on record in the Bay of Bengal, knocked down huge trees, snapped power lines and upturned cars. The winds blew apart some buildings, while ropes of rain sent thousands of poor villagers rushing to evacuation shelters. On Wednesday, reports on social media and television stations showed countless electrical wires and lamp posts short-circuiting in the streets. By Thursday, the streets were littered with trees and rubble, as workers struggled to clear the roads.
Around 1.5 crore people of the state have been reportedly directly affected by the cyclone and more…