- Everest claims three more victims after deadly week - CNN May 25, 2019Everest claims three more victims after deadly week CNN3 more die on Mount Everest as tour organizers pin blame on traffic jam Fox NewsUtah Man Is Among The Latest To Die Amid Traffic Jam Of Hikers At Mount Everest | TIME TIMEMount Everest: Why the summit can get so crowded BBC NewsThree die due to overcrowding on Everest with […]
- Matt Hancock joins race to be Tory leader - The Times May 25, 2019Matt Hancock joins race to be Tory leader The TimesTory leadership: Rivals clash over support for no-deal Brexit BBC NewsHealth Secretary Hancock joins race to succeed UK's May Fox NewsContest to replace May as British prime minister hots up ReutersRory Stewart says he could not serve under Boris Johnson Telegraph.co.ukView full coverage on Google News
- Trump’s ‘Easy’ Trade War Hits Snags as China Plays the Long Game - Bloomberg May 25, 2019Trump’s ‘Easy’ Trade War Hits Snags as China Plays the Long Game BloombergU.S. and China tech have played nice for decades. Now, a fork in the road. NBC NewsThe Quick Read About… the 5G War Is Upon Us TIMEHow the U.S. Went Wrong on Huawei The Wall Street JournalHuawei: Beijing Retaliates, New Cyber Law Could Block U.S. Technology From […]
- Trump arrives in Japan, kicking off 4-day state visit with trade talks at its center - Fox News May 25, 2019Trump arrives in Japan, kicking off 4-day state visit with trade talks at its center Fox NewsTrump visits Japan -- live updates CNNTrump visits Japan as first state guest for new emperor | Al Jazeera English Al Jazeera EnglishFor Trump, a ‘very big event’ in Japan that he struggles to explain The Washington PostTrump arrives in Japan as a […]
- Trump says US will send 1500 troops to Middle East amid Iran tensions - Guardian News May 25, 2019Trump says US will send 1500 troops to Middle East amid Iran tensions Guardian NewsUS to send 1,500 extra troops to Middle East amid tensions BBC NewsTrump approves additional deployment to Mideast to counter Iran CNNOver 70 retired military leaders sign letter urging Trump against war with Iran | TheHill The HillTrump says he will send out 1500 troops […]
- Tehran-backed Islamic Jihad official says Gaza militants won't be drawn into Iran-U.S. conflict - NBC News May 25, 2019Tehran-backed Islamic Jihad official says Gaza militants won't be drawn into Iran-U.S. conflict NBC NewsKushner’s Middle East peace plan is aimed at forcing Palestinians to abandon their rights ThinkProgressThe Israeli-Palestinian Dispute Is Only Partly About Land The AtlanticMatthew Brodsky: The Trump administration is creating momentum for Palestinian-Israeli peace Fox NewsThe world faces many tragedies. The lack of a Palestinian […]
Related Tags $3.5Million
- Church auctioned off for $3.5 million during foreclosure sale. Bank buys Greater Cleveland Avenue building, property May 24, 2019Apex Bank bought Greater Cleveland Avenue Christian Church and its 15-acre site on Lansing Drive for $3.5 million during an auction Friday at the Fors […]
- Comstock Mining Announces Accelerated Payment on Lucerne Transaction; Tonogold Accelerates $3.5 million Stock-based Down Payment May 23, 2019VIRGINIA CITY, Nev., May 23, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Comstock Mining Inc. ("Comstock" or "the Company") (NYSE American:LODE) toda […]
- Charleston-Based AI Talent Intelligence Company ENGAGE Talent Secures $3.5 Million May 22, 2019Charleston, South Carolina-based AI-Powered Talent Data and Intelligence platform ENGAGE Talent announced it raised $3.5 million. High Alpha Capital a […]
- Walk Inside A $3.5 Million Wisconsin Dream Cabin on the Lake May 21, 2019This home's inspired blend of contemporary architecture and nature is among the area's best. (Image Via Realtor.com) This home's inspir […]
- Iraq's southern oil exports at 3.5 million barrels a day so far in May, official says May 18, 2019BASRA, Iraq (Reuters) - Iraq's oil exports from its southern ports have reached 3.5 million barrels a day (bpd) crude oil as of Saturday, South O […]
- UH College of Nursing in Katy gets $3.5 million donation May 17, 2019Dark clouds threatened stormy weather, but didn't stop the May 23, 2018, groundbreaking for an 80,000-square-foot academic building for the Unive […]
- TV attorney Lisa Bloom lists infamous murder house in Los Feliz for $3.5 million May 17, 2019Lisa Bloom, the civil rights attorney and former truTV host, and her husband, entrepreneur Braden Pollock, have listed the so-called murder house in L […]
- Former home of Quad/Graphics founder Harry Quadracci and wife Elizabeth for sale for $3.5 million May 16, 2019A home once owned by Harry Quadracci is on the market for $3.5 million. Listed by Gallagher Lake Country Real Estate, part of Keller Williams, the six […]
- 'Beaumont Necklace' Fetches $3.5 Million, 36-Carat Diamond Achieves $5 Million At Sotheby's May 15, 2019The emerald and diamond “Beaumont Necklace” fetched nearly $3.6 million at Sotheby’s Geneva Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels sale. The price, withi […]
- Bond Car Sells For $3.5 Million May 14, 2019The only daily news program focused exclusively on technology, innovation and the future of business from San Francisco. Hosted by Emily Chang. " […]
- Aston Martin reveals the spy gadgets in its $3.5 million bond tribute May 14, 2019While actor Rami Malek is rubbing his villainous hands together, promising to give Daniel Craig hell in his fifth and last James Bond film, there […]
- Lifelike 3D models help settle $3.5 million injury case May 14, 2019When a Lancaster woman was hit by a truck in 2016, the top neurosurgeon at Gates Vascular Institute was called to treat serious injuries to her head a […]
While actor Rami Malek is rubbing his villainous hands together, promising to give Daniel Craig hell in his fifth and last James Bond film, there’s news out of England on the 25 cars Aston Martin is making for the most die-hard, deep-pocketed 007 fans.
Announced in August, the $3.5 million continuation DB5s, like the kind Sean Connery drove in Goldfinger, are not only actual running cars based on the 1964 model, but they were teased as having working spy gadgetry as well. And now we know what that spycraft will be.
Developed with Chris Corbould, the Oscar- and OBE-winning special effects supervisor for eight Bond films, the gadgets will include rotating number plates, rear smoke screens and oil slicks, and retractable bullet-resistant rear shields. Most likely to appeal to your inner hyped-up 10-year-old: “simulated” twin machine guns planted on the front of the car.
“The guns appearing from the front lights were a particular challenge as, in the film world, we are able to use flammable gas mixtures combined with an ignition system to produce a flame and noise effect,” Corbould said in a written statement on the prototypes unveiled on Tuesday. “Clearly this is not practical in untrained hands, so we have devised a new system to achieve a realistic effect.”
Instead, the final version of the “guns” will emit light and include a sound effect when you pull the “trigger.”
The interior will feature a telephone in the driver’s side door, a faux radar-tracker screen, and a weapons tray hidden under the leather seats, all of which are intended to be just as engaging as they were when Q approved them for Bond decades ago.
The cars will be made by Aston Martin engineers in the same Buckinghamshire factory where all 1,095 DB5 sports cars, including convertible and shooting-brake versions, were manufactured from 1963 to 1965. They’ll be numbered as if new off the line in the 1960s—and, no, prospective owners can’t ask for custom tweaks.
Under the hood will be straight-six, 282-brake-horsepower engines similar to the originals. They’ll go just about as fast, too, requiring 7.1 seconds to hit 60 mph with a top speed of 148 mph, according to the company—not that you’ll be able to open it up on the road. As authentic reproductions, they won’t meet today’s safety and legislation requirements for new cars, making them illegal to drive in most countries.
By comparison, an original (and theoretically drivable) 1964 DB5 took $880,000 at an RM Sotheby’s auction in 2014. The convertible version of the DB5, more stunning and more expensive than the coupe, also costs less than the new Bond toy. A 1965 DB5 convertible sold for $2.7 million at RM Sothebys in 2017. Wresting more of those beauties from the current owners may prove difficult, with only 85% of the original DB5s still in existence today, per Aston estimates.
Deliveries of the continuation DB5s start in 2020, with the majority of the 25 now allocated.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: https://bit.ly/2TwO8Gm
TICTOC ON SOCIAL:
Follow TicToc on Twitter: https://twitter.com/tictoc
Like TicToc on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tictoc
Follow TicToc on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tictoc
Watch all of TicToc’s videos: https://www.tictoc.video/
Listen to TicToc’s podcast: https://apple.co/2D3Vta7
Subscribe to our newsletter: https://bit.ly/2FJ0oQZ
TicToc by Bloomberg is global news for the life you lead. We are a 24/7 news network that covers breaking news, politics, technology, business and entertainment stories from around the globe, supported by a network of Bloomberg’s 2,700 journalists across 120 countries.